The Law Office of Christopher D. Hopkins LLC counsels clients on a broad range of environmental issues. The firm's principal, Christopher Hopkins, has in-depth knowledge of state and federal environmental laws and regulations affecting businesses and real property transactions. The firm has developed substantial capabilities in dealing with issues involving: site inspection; wetlands and flood hazard issues; ISRA compliance; soil and groundwater remediation; cost recovery and allocation; liability allocation; underground storage tanks and vapor intrusion.
Representative services include:
- Advising clients on obligations concerning environmental conditions on real property;
- Due diligence and contractual allocation of environmental risks in transactions;
- Remediation of contaminated property and/or Brownfield redevelopment and obtaining financing for such transactions;
- Advising on the installation and maintenance of institutional and engineering controls at contaminated sites;
- Negotiating and obtaining environmental insurance;
- Advising clients on environmental and compliance issues related to sustainable development, green building and alternative energy initiatives.
The firm has substantial experience in returning contaminated properties, or "Brownfields", to beneficial use. Brownfield transactions require the creation of a practical business deal that works for all parties involved. The firm achieves the risk management objectives of clients and ensures economic returns by negotiating and drafting contractual arrangements to allocate past and future liabilities and integrating redevelopment and land use entitlements with the remediation process. Notably, Mr. Hopkins is also very well versed in negotiating site pollution liability insurance coverage, which is often essential to the success of contaminated property transactions.
The firm's environmental and construction expertise also helps clients meet the growing demand for sustainable, energy efficient development and development practices. Mr. Hopkins represents developers, retailers and tenants in the areas of green building and sustainable design. Representation includes: negotiating and implementing agreements for energy procurement and collection systems including Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) agreements, Power Purchase Agreements (PPA) and easements; renewable energy credit trading; and establishing and implementing green policy initiatives.
Lastly, the firm provides litigation services in connection with all environmental matters. Mr. Hopkins has defended, as well as initiated, numerous claims relating to environmental contamination, including claims for property damage and toxic torts. In addition, Mr. Hopkins has extensive experience litigating issues of insurance coverage involving environmental contamination.